Focussed Leadership Program
From fire-extinguishing to leading from inspiration
Thursday 10 & Friday 11 October 2019 and Friday 13 December 2019
- Do you feel that the continuous flow of information and interruptions is hindering you to see clearly and to take the best decisions?
- Do you sometimes feel disconnected from the people you are working with or do you have difficulties guiding them through necessary change?
- Would you like to move from "fire extinguishing" management to a more inspiring leadership role?
- Do you feel like you haven't reached your full leadership potential, or would you like to align your leadership approach more with your personal values?
Those around a focussed leader see, feel and are inspired by this presence and it creates a ripple effect deep into the organization. Being a leader has never been easy but today leaders are facing unprecedented complexity and ambiguity. When we consider the challenges leaders face today, it's easy to see the need for cultivating focussed leadership.
- Increasing complexity and ambiguity. The environment we live and work in is becoming ever more complex and ambiguous. There are numerous new and difficult challenges and many organizations face considerable resource restraints.
- A state of "continuous partial attention". We are attached 24/7 to an array of technological devices that produce information overload that generates anxiety and a sense of disconnection. The volume of information at our disposal is, in fact, leading to less rather than more certainty. We can argue that we live in a state of "continuous partial attention".
- Lack of mental space. The most frequent complaint heard by leaders is the lack of mental space they experience. We often simply do not have the space, the breathing room, that is necessary to be clear and focussed, and to listen deeply to ourselves and to others in order to take adequately informed and wise decisions.
- The world needs leaders with a clear and open mind and heart. If we are to successfully resolve the greater challenges we face, not only within our organizations, but in our society and planet as a whole, we need more leaders with an open awareness, focussed and creative, with a clear sense of purpose and compassion for the greater whole.
At the heart of the most influential contemporary leadership models is the necessity for leaders to reflect and renew themselves. Yet how is this possible in today's high-speed and complex environment?Practicing mindfulness is a scientifically proven way of leading with awareness, by enabling you to create more mental space - in the midst of the constant busyness and challenging environments. You learn to become aware of your own mental patterns and habits and you develop tools to change unhelpful habits. This has some important benefits. A mindful leader is able to:
- Connect - to others, to the larger community as well as to her or his personal values and ethics.
- Skillfully initiate and guide change, by listening and collaborating with open curiosity and by showing a willingness, if necessary, to live with ambiguity until a decision becomes clear.
- Motivate others to flourish in their work and to find their own meaning in work and life.
- Stimulate innovation by accepting failures as experiments from which to learn and inspires her or his people to do the same.
- Have a clear sense of purpose and direction and is willing to stand up for what matters, despite resistance, scepticism or his or her own fears.
- These benefits do not only apply to the individual leader and his or her team, but to the organization as a whole. Higher engagement levels and levels of trust in leadership are an important result - as well as more successful change and an overall increase in productivity.
We spend most of our time in the often frantic "doing/thinking/problem-solving" mode in which stress builds up and clouds our vision. By learning to switch between the "doing" mode and a more contemplative "being" mode, leaders can learn to find more mental spaceand develop more awareness that enables them to connect more deeply with others and with their personal purpose. A mindful leader embodies leadership presence by training and cultivating focus, clarity, creativity and compassion in the service of others. These capabilities are developed by learning a set of contemplative practices, such as mindfulness meditation, to deepen (self-)awareness.
- Reflecting on personal leadership values to develop a clearer sense of purpose.
- Learning to pause in the midst of the franticness of our hectic life.
- Sharing ideas and experiences with our participants of the program.
- Reflecting on challenging situations and how to stay balanced and find the right response according to your values.
- Recognize stress-inducing patterns and learn to respond more appropriately.
- Cultivate focus as well as the ability to tolerate ambiguity.
- Bring mindfulness and compassion into communication and the feedback you give and receive as a leader.
- Respond wisely to challenging situations.
- Lead by inspiration, based on your personal leadership principles and values.
- 2 days of residential training. In these 2 days we will introduce you to the basic mindful leadership practices and concepts.
- 3 individual coaching sessions with individual action plans by the trainers.
- 1 coaching session in small groups
- 1-day retreat of follow up and deepening awareness practices.
- Supporting material with home practices and practical tips to integrate what you learn into your daily life and work.
- Mp3-downloads with guided meditation exercises.
- 12 follow up emails with practical tips and reminders
- A small group of max. 8 people.
- A wholesome location that supports the learning and your nourishment
- 2 experienced trainers throughout the whole program
Who are the trainers?
Beate Trück, Founder Brussels Mindfulness & Mindfulness Trainer
Beate is German and has several masters in languages and European affairs. In previous years she has worked in leading positions at different organizations in Brussels, amongst others as CEO of the European Venture philanthropy Association. Beate has been trained and certified as a mindfulness teacher (MBSR) by Arbor Seminar in Germany. She is also an authorized positive neuroplasticity trainer of the method by Dr Rick Hanson. She has been teaching mindfulness in many international organizations, amongst which the European commission and Parliament, Brussels Airlines, Nestlé, Allen & Overy. She has also recently created and leads an international mindfulness teacher training program in Brussels. Beate also provides executive coaching to CEOs who want to lead by inspiration and make a real difference in this world.
Katleen Janssens, Executive coach and Mindfulness Trainer Aora
As an experienced organizational psychologist and senior coach, Katleen is passionate in getting the best out of people. She is also a licensed creative psychotherapist focussed on providing private individual support in work related stress and burn-out.
After having been managing partner of ITAM, the institute for attention and mindfulness in Gent, she founded her own company AORA in 2006. AORA helps people to transform their individual and organizational needs into valuable and fulfilling solutions. She has been working with managers in diverse business contexts, focusing on achieving sustainable individual and team working output, resulting in high impact and more happy people on the long term.
Katleen has been practicing yoga and meditation for 25 years. She has been following mindfulness retreats and professional programs for many years, for example Mindfulness Compassion Training, Dhamma Course and Insight Dialogue Retreat. Since 2018 she is also teaching at the Leadership Programs of the Antwerp Management School.
When and Where?
Thursday & Friday 10 & 11 October 2019. Starting on Thursday at 9.30 and ending on Friday at 17.00.
1-day retreat on Friday 13 December 2019, 9.30 to 17.00.
The training days will take place at "the Abode" in Sint Martens Lennik (close to Brussels). The Abode is a 200-year-old restored farm and a haven of peace. The accommodation is in comfortable single rooms with private bathroom. Delicious organic food will be prepared with love by Inge & Hugo, our hosts. The surroundings are meadows and fields with sheep and cows. In the breaks you can go for walks in the beautiful surroundings.
For people with a leading or influencing role who would like to
- master their mind and flourish in life
- increase productivity and flourishing of the team
- lead more in line with their purpose and leadership principles
- increase their own wellbeing and the wellbeing of their teamInvestment
Standard rate for private-sector companies with 10 employees or more: 4.997 EUR per participant
Reduced rate for individuals, non-profit & small companies (less than 10 employees): 4.297 EUR per participant
Included in this price
- 3 full training days,
- 4 coaching sessions
- course materials with summaries and exercises
- full board and accommodation in single room
- coffee and tea breaks
- exclusive use of the whole location
- 12 in-between emails with tips and reminders
- a set of guided meditations to support your practice
VAT will be added to the quoted rates above.
Please get in touch with us (email@example.com) to register for the program. Prior to the program you will be invited to a short phone call to discuss your motivation and intentions to join the program. We would need your name, mail-address, phone number, and concrete information about your billing address (incl. VAT-number) as well as the rate that applies to you. If you have any questions, please contact us for more practical questions (registration, invoicing, timings, etc.).
Katleen Janssen - firstname.lastname@example.org - GSM: +32 476 927 253
Beate Trück - email@example.com - GSM: +32 476 89 29 41